Miss Gwatkin as 'Simplicity'
- Additional Title(s):
Miss Theophila Gwatkin (Simplicity)
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/8 x 8 1/2 inches (30.8 x 21.6 cm), Plate: 11 7/16 x 7 13/16 inches (29 x 19.9 cm), and Image: 8 3/8 x 7 1/16 inches (21.2 x 17.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Second state | II 278"; on back, lower center: "Miss Theophila Gwatkin (Simplicity) | 176"; on back, lower right: "10061 | CA1-1- | 7/[...]"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds"; lower center: "Publish'd May 12, 1789, by F. Bartolozzi ^[& Co.] No. 81, Great Titchfield Street."; lower right: "Engraved by F. Bartolozzi R. A."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cap | child | costume | dress | girl | lace | landscape | mountain | portrait | profile (figure) | ribbon | sash | simplicity | trees
- Associated People:
- Gwatkin, Theophila (1757–1848)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francis Bartolozzi, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Miss Gwatkin as 'Simplicity', 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.