- Additional Title(s):
Lady Hamilton as Nature
Lady Hamilton as Sensibility
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 14 9/16 × 11 7/16 inches (37 × 29.1 cm) and Image: 12 11/16 x 9 7/8 inches (32.2 x 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Lady Hamilton"; on back, lower center: "#57"; lower right: "R 6408 | Cost me /-/ | Sells 31/1"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by George Romney."; lower center: "SENSIBILITY."; lower right: "Engrav'd by Rd. Earlom."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | gesture | gown | headscarf | hills | historical subject | landscape | muslin | pedestal | personification | portrait | reaching | robe | sash | trees | urn | woman
- Associated People:
- Hamilton, Emma, Lady Hamilton (bap. 1765, d. 1815), social celebrity and artist's model
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Emma Hamilton dancing, GHP, West Haven, Connecticut, 2013, pp. 3, 23, V 2514 (YCBA)