- Additional Title(s):
Lady Hamilton as Nature
Lady Hamilton as Sensibility
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 9/16 × 11 7/16 inches (37 × 29.1 cm) and Image: 12 11/16 x 9 7/8 inches (32.2 x 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Lady Hamilton"; on back, lower center: "#57"; lower right: "R 6408 | Cost me /-/ | Sells 31/1"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by George Romney."; lower center: "SENSIBILITY."; lower right: "Engrav'd by Rd. Earlom."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | gesture | gown | headscarf | hills | historical subject | landscape | muslin | pedestal | personification | portrait | reaching | robe | sash | trees | urn | woman
- Associated People:
- Hamilton, Emma, Lady Hamilton (bap. 1765, d. 1815), social celebrity and artist's model
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Emma Hamilton Dancing (The Lewis Walpole Library, 2013-11-05 - 2014-03-31) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Romantic Print in the Age of Revolutions: Hero, Hero-Worship, and the Heroic in History (Yale Center for British Art, 2003-01-23 - 2003-06-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Emma Hamilton dancing, GHP, West Haven, Connecticut, 2013, pp. 3, 23, V 2514 (YCBA) [YCBA]