Sisters Contemplating on Mortality
- Mezzotint (first state) on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 20 × 14 1/4 inches (50.8 × 36.2 cm), 19 7/8 × 14 inches (50.5 × 35.6 cm), and 18 × 14 inches (45.7 × 35.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper center: "/2"; center: "144P (encircled)"; lower right: "R6178 | Cost mi/-/-| 1st state | sells ce/ at"
Collectors mark: Dragon head encircled
Lettered below image, left: "G Romney pinx +"; lower center: "Published Sep.tr 20th, 1770. by J Boydell Engraver in Cheapside"; right: "R Dunkarton fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | clouds | contemplation | dresses | low-relief sculpture | Mortality, Extinction of Life | pointing | religious and mythological subject | ruins | silk (textile) | skirts | sky | standing | statue | tree | vines | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Dunkarton, 1744–1811, British, Sisters Contemplating on Mortality, 1770
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.