Sisters Contemplating on Mortality
- Mezzotint (first state) on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 20 × 14 1/4 inches (50.8 × 36.2 cm), Plate: 19 7/8 × 14 inches (50.5 × 35.6 cm), and Image: 18 × 14 inches (45.7 × 35.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper center: "/2"; center: "144P (encircled)"; lower right: "R6178 | Cost mi/-/-| 1st state | sells ce/ at"
Collectors mark: Dragon head encircled
Lettered below image, left: "G Romney pinx +"; lower center: "Published Sep.tr 20th, 1770. by J Boydell Engraver in Cheapside"; right: "R Dunkarton fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | clouds | contemplation | dresses | low-relief sculpture | Mortality, Extinction of Life | ruins | silk (textile) | skirts | standing | statue | tree | vines | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Dunkarton, 1744–1811, British, Sisters Contemplating on Mortality, 1770
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.