IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Finlayson, 1730–1776, British, David Garrick in the Character of 'Kitely', 1769
David Garrick in the Character of 'Kitely'
- Additional Title(s):
'Every Man in his Humour', Act ii, Scene i
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 14 15/16 × 10 15/16 inches (37.9 × 27.8 cm), Image: 13 7/16 x 10 15/16 inches (34.1 x 27.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Mr Garrick in the Character of Kitely -- "; on back, lower right: "3905 (circled)"
Lettered, lower left: "J: Reynolds pinx.t"; lower center: "Publish'd Feb.y.1st:1769"; lower right: "J Finlayson fec:t"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actor | buttons | cape | cloak | collar | embroidery | Every Man in His Humour (1598), play by Benjamin Jonson (1572-1637) | lace | literary theme | plays by Benjamin Jonson (1572–1637), poet and playwright | portrait | posing | tassels | vest
- Associated People:
- Kitely, a merchant (character in Ben Jonson's 'Every Man in his Humour'
Garrick, David (1717–1779), actor and playwright
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.