IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Raphael Smith, 1752–1812, British, Master Henry George Herbert as the 'Infant Bacchus', 1776
Master Henry George Herbert as the 'Infant Bacchus'
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 22 11/16 × 16 1/4 inches (57.6 × 41.3 cm), Plate: 20 × 14 inches (50.8 × 35.6 cm), Image: 18 5/16 × 13 15/16 inches (46.5 × 35.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "20 3/4 x 14 2/4"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "Sold by C. Love"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sr Joshua Reynolds"; lettered, lower center: "Master Herbert | Bacchus | Publishd 15th Novemr 1776 by J Boydell Engraver in Cheapside London"; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J R Smith"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | child | cloth | eyes | god | grapes | leaves | leopards | light | portrait | religious and mythological subject | rock | vines
- Associated People:
- Herbert, Henry George, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon (1772-1833), Colonel of the West Somerset Yeomanry
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.