The Brothers of Joseph Showing his Bloody Coat
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 21 9/16 × 25 3/4 inches (54.8 × 65.4 cm), Plate: 21 × 24 1/8 inches (53.3 × 61.3 cm), and Image: 20 × 24 1/16 inches (50.8 × 61.1 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Guerchino Pinxit | Josiah Boydell, delnt."; lettered, lower center: "Publish'd Jany 1st 1782 by John Boydell, Engraver in Cheapside London"; lettered, lower right: "J. Murphy Sculpsit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- blood (animal material) | brothers | canes | Christianity | coat | death | dog | father | gathering | grief | Judaism | Old Testament | praying | religious and mythological subject | shepherds | standing | telling, story | tricking | turbans
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Murphy, c.1748–1820, British, The Brothers of Joseph Showing his Bloody Coat, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.