Margaret Woffington as Mrs. Ford in "The Merry Wives of Windsor"
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 19 3/4 × 14 inches (50.2 × 35.6 cm) and 19 × 13 3/4 inches (48.3 × 34.9 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "#52"; lower center: "5v"
Lettered below image, lower left: "E Haytley Pinx."; center: "Mrs Margaret Woffington In the Character of Mrs. Ford in the Merry Wives of Windsor"; lower right: "J Faber fecit 1751 | sold at the Golden Head near the Church Bloomsbury Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actress | costume | gloves | literary theme | plays by William Shakespeare | The Merry Wives of Windsor, play by William Shakespeare
- Associated People:
- Woffington, Margaret [Peg] (1720?–1760), actress
Mistress Ford (character in The Merry Wives of Windsor)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, Margaret Woffington as Mrs. Ford in "The Merry Wives of Windsor", 1751
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.