IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
unknown artist, The Purple Heron, Undated
The Purple Heron
- Watercolor, pen and brown ink, gray ink, gouache, and graphite, on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper, mounted on card
- Mount: 20 11/16 × 26 9/16 inches (52.5 × 67.5 cm), Sheet: 18 1/4 × 25 1/8 inches (46.4 × 63.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite on mount, lower left: "Purple Heron COX DAME [crossed out]; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Purple Heron ARDEA PURPUREA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | heron | ornithology | purple | science | taxonomy (discipline)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.