- The Purple Heron
- Watercolor, with pen, in brown ink, gray ink, gouache, and graphite, on medium, moderately textured, cream, wove paper, mounted on, very thick, moderately textured, cream, cardboard
- Mount: 20 11/16 × 26 9/16 inches (52.5 × 67.5 cm) and Sheet: 18 1/4 × 25 1/8 inches (46.4 × 63.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite on mount, lower left: "Purple Heron COX DAME [crossed out]; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Purple Heron ARDEA PURPUREA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | heron | ornithology | purple | science | taxonomy (discipline)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
unknown artist, The Purple Heron, Undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.