IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Frederik Christiaan Bierweiler, active 1800–1831, Dutch, De Kruisiging, ca. 1820
- Additional Title(s):
- ca. 1820
- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 26 1/4 × 19 3/4 inches (66.7 × 50.2 cm), Plate: 24 3/8 × 16 7/8 inches (61.9 × 42.9 cm), Image: 23 1/4 × 16 7/8 inches (59.1 × 42.9 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "14"
Lettered inside image, upper center: "IHCOYC NAZAPA- | IOC BACIAEYC | TWN IOYDAIWN | IESVS NAZA- | RENVS REX | IVDAEORUM"; lettered below image: "P.P.Rubens, Pinxt. | DE KRUISIGING | Uitgegeeven to Amsterdam, by J.Groenewoud, Jz. op de | Princegracht by de Utrechse Straat in No.26. | F.C.Bierweiler, Sculpt. | Proefdruk."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Christianity | criminals | crown of thorns | crucifixion | death | eclipses (astronomical) | grief | horses (animals) | ladder | men | nails | New Testament | Passion | pierced | religious and mythological subject | rope | sacrifice | salvation | side | sin | soldiers | spears | the crucifixion of Christ: Christ's death on the cross; Golgotha (Matthew 27:45-58; Mark 15:33-45; Luke 23:44-52; John 19:25-38) | women
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
The Virgin Mary
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.