- De Kruisiging
- ca. 1820
- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 26 1/4 × 19 3/4 inches (66.7 × 50.2 cm), Plate: 24 3/8 × 16 7/8 inches (61.9 × 42.9 cm), and Image: 23 1/4 × 16 7/8 inches (59.1 × 42.9 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "14"
Lettered inside image, upper center: "IHCOYC NAZAPA- | IOC BACIAEYC | TWN IOYDAIWN | IESVS NAZA- | RENVS REX | IVDAEORUM"; lettered below image: "P.P.Rubens, Pinxt. | DE KRUISIGING | Uitgegeeven to Amsterdam, by J.Groenewoud, Jz. op de | Princegracht by de Utrechse Straat in No.26. | F.C.Bierweiler, Sculpt. | Proefdruk."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Christianity | criminals | crown of thorns | crucifixion | death | eclipses (astronomical) | grief | horses (animals) | ladder | men | nails | New Testament | Passion | pierced | religious and mythological subject | rope | sacrifice | salvation | side | sin | soldiers | spears | the crucifixion of Christ: Christ's death on the cross; Golgotha (Matthew 27:45-58; Mark 15:33-45; Luke 23:44-52; John 19:25-38) | women
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
The Virgin Mary
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Frederik Christiaan Bierweiler, active 1800–1831, Dutch, De Kruisiging, ca. 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.