Under the Ouse Bridge, Bathing
- between 1803 and 1804
- Watercolor and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 21 3/8 inches (41.9 x 54.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink lower right: "J.Varley"
Signed in pen and brown ink lower right: "J.Varley."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | bank | bathers | bathing | boats | canal | cityscape | dock | dog (animal) | figures | genre subject | houses | leisure | nude | oars | river | rocks (landforms) | rowboats | shore (landform) | stones | swimming | wall | windmill
- Associated Places:
- England | Ouse | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Under the Ouse Bridge, Bathing, between 1803 and 1804
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.