The Death of the Fox
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, smooth, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 11 x 15 9/16 inches (27.9 x 39.6 cm), Plate: 9 13/16 x 13 11/16 inches (25 x 34.8 cm), and Image: 9 5/16 x 13 11/16 inches (23.6 x 34.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "Not lot | lot 81 | Sold (?Soth) Jan 24, 98 | Cat in Y[...]"; lower center: "#9"
Lettered, lower left under image: "Seymour Pinx.t"; lower center under image: "~~~ The Death of the FOX. ~~~ ~~~ La Mort du Renard. ~~~ | Published 12th May 1794 by Laurie & Whittle, 53 Fleet Street, London."; lower right under image: "T. Burford Fecit. 6"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | death | dogs (animals) | equestrians | forest | fox (animal) | fox hunting | hankerchief | horn | horses (animals) | hunters | hunting | landscape | pond | resting | sporting art | top hats | whips
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Burford, ca. 1710–after 1774, British, The Death of the Fox, 1794