The Pretty Ballad Singer
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper, laid in mount
- Sheet: 16 3/4 x 11 1/2 inches (42.6 x 29.2 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 7/8 inches (35.2 x 25.1 cm), Image: 12 5/8 x 9 7/8 inches (32 x 25.1 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "S, 29 b | c"; lower center: "(16)"; lower right: "355"
Collector's mark, verso: Unidentified, three flowers (Lugt 2902)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Hen. Morland pinxt,, | 7"; lower center: "Published as the Act directs. [date torn off surface of paper] | The pretty Ballad Singer. | Printed for CARINGTON BOWLES, Map & Printseller, No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, LONDON."; lower right: "Phil. Dawe fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ballad | bonnet (hat) | chiaroscuro | dark | genre subject | holding | lantern (lighting device) | light | modesty | music | pattern (design element) | shadow | shawl | sheet music | singer | singing | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Painters and Engraving - The Reproductive Print from Hogarth to Wilkie (Yale Center for British Art, 1980-03-26 - 1980-06-22) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]