The Old Beau in an Extasy
- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 1/4 x 11 1/8 inches (38.7 x 28.2 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 7/8 inches (35.3 x 25.1 cm), and Image: 12 7/8 x 9 7/8 inches (32.7 x 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "#81"; lower right: "S.40.I"
Lettered, lower left: "286 Behold this Wretch! a Fot at Sixty two, | A true conceited, ugly worn out Beau, | Whose Toilet boasts of every scare Perfume | With Chinese Paint for Artificial Bloom;"; lower center: "Drawn from the Life & Ext by J Dixon. | The OLD BEAU | in an EXTASY | Printed for Carington Bowles , at his Map & Print Warehouse, No.69, in St. Pauls Church Yard Londom, Publish'd as the Act directs"; lower right: "A half starv'd paltry THing__ so strange all o'er | That England ne'er beheld his like before. | The Girls all hate him, and at their request | Up hangs the Cap they think will suit him best."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barber | books | caricature | clock | drapery | flowers (plants) | genre subject | hair | hats | illustration | lace | macaroni | make-up | men | nobleman | old | painting (visual work) | patterns | perfume | ribbons | robes | satire | servants | shelves | shoes | silk | tassels | tights | toilet | wig
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Dixon, ca. 1740–1811, Irish, The Old Beau in an Extasy, 1773
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.