The Housewife's Employment
- Additional Title(s):
Woman Churning Butter
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 13 3/4 x 9 7/8 inches (35 x 25.1 cm), Plate: 12 7/8 x 9 inches (32.7 x 22.8 cm), and Image: 11 5/16 x 8 7/8 inches (28.8 x 22.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left, written upside down: "-4"; in brown ink, on back, upper left: "20070"; in graphite, on back, lower center: "268"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Ph. Mercier pinxt."; lower center: "The House-wife's Employment. | London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, Map & Printseller near Serjeants Inn Fleet Street."; lower right: "J. Faber fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron | bonnet | butter | cap | churn | curls | domestic | dress | figure study | genre subject | labor | peasant | woman | working
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, p. 46, no. 180, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA)