- The Choice
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 5/8 x 15 1/8 inches (27 x 38.4 cm), Plate: 9 15/16 x 14 inches (25.2 x 35.5 cm), and Image: 9 3/16 x 13 15/16 inches (23.4 x 35.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center left: "#50"; on back, lower left: "S 412"; on back, lower right: "The Choice | J. Faber"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "By Pray'r, but More by Gold, the Miser-Swain | Would tempt ye Nymph to Love, but tempts in vain: | P. Mercier Pinxt. I. Faber fecit."; lower center: "More king she seems the Rustic Boor to prize, | With all the Gust of Passion in his Eyes: | The First, on hopes of Gain alone would move; | The Latter, on mere Nature founds his Love:"; lower right: "This Picture hence this Moral may Impart | Nature's the Surest Guide to reach the Heart. | Sold by I. Faber at the Golden Head by Bloomsbury Church"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | church | coins | collar | costume | courtship | drapery | genre subject | gesture | gown | hats | leisure | men | nobility | purse | sack | steeple | table | woman | wooing
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, p. 56, no. 239, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, The Choice, 1737
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.