- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 5/8 x 15 1/8 inches (27 x 38.4 cm), Plate: 9 15/16 x 14 inches (25.2 x 35.5 cm), and Image: 9 3/16 x 13 15/16 inches (23.4 x 35.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center left: "#50"; on back, lower left: "S 412"; on back, lower right: "The Choice | J. Faber"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "By Pray'r, but More by Gold, the Miser-Swain | Would tempt ye Nymph to Love, but tempts in vain: | P. Mercier Pinxt. I. Faber fecit."; lower center: "More king she seems the Rustic Boor to prize, | With all the Gust of Passion in his Eyes: | The First, on hopes of Gain alone would move; | The Latter, on mere Nature founds his Love:"; lower right: "This Picture hence this Moral may Impart | Nature's the Surest Guide to reach the Heart. | Sold by I. Faber at the Golden Head by Bloomsbury Church"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | church | coins | collar | costume | courtship | drapery | genre subject | gesture | gown | hats | leisure | men | nobility | purse | sack | steeple | table | woman | wooing
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, p. 56, no. 239, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA)