Mary Commended, Martha Reprehended
- between 1690 and 1703
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 9 1/8 × 12 11/16 inches (23.2 × 32.2 cm) and Image: 8 13/16 x 12 11/16 inches (22.4 x 32.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center left: "338"; lower right: "499"
Lettered, lower left: "A Coypel pinx W Faithorne fec:"; lower center: "Mary Commended, Martha Reprehended:"; lower right: "E Cooper Ex:"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | fire | gesturing | kneeling | Mary kneels weeping before Christ; sometimes Christ is also shown weeping | pointing | religious and mythological subject | robes | sisters | talking | women
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
Martha, sister of Mary of Bethany
Mary of Bethany (1stC), biblical figure
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Faithorne, 1656–ca. 1701, British, Mary Commended, Martha Reprehended, between 1690 and 1703
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.