A Vestal Virgin
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 16 9/16 × 11 13/16 inches (42.1 × 30 cm), Plate: 15 5/8 × 10 15/16 inches (39.7 × 27.8 cm), and Image: 13 3/4 × 10 15/16 inches (34.9 × 27.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "121"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "S-p716.no25"
Lettered, lower left: "B.Wilson delin"; lettered, lower right: "W. Humphrey fecit"; lettered, lower center: "H.Sayer Excudit. | A Vestal Virgin. | London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, No.53 in Fleet Street, Published as the Act directs 1st. Decr.1770."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ewer | fire | pillar | priestess- Roman religion | religious and mythological subject | Roman | sacrifice | smoke | temple | veil | Vestal virgin(s) | virgin
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Humphrey, 1745–1810, British, A Vestal Virgin, 1770
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.