IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Bernard Lens, 1659–1725, British, Nymphs Bathing, undated
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 × 11 11/16 inches (25.6 × 29.7 cm), Image: 9 9/16 × 11 9/16 inches (24.3 × 29.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "287"
Lettered, lower left: "Cornelius Poulenberg pinxit Roma."; lettered, lower center: "Fair Nymphs while from the Sun's too fervent heat | To Bathe in the cool River you retreet, | B. Lens Fec."; lettered, lower center: "Beware of Curious eyes, Lest you reveal | Those very Beauties, which you wou'd conceal."; lettered, lower right: "Printed for the Bowles next the | Chapter house in St. Pauls Church Yard."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bathing | bushes | clouds | flowers | landscape | nudes | nymphs | pointing | religious and mythological subject | river | riverbank | rock (landform) | ruins | sitting | sky | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.