Venus and Adonis
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/8 × 14 inches (26.4 × 35.6 cm), Plate: 9 7/8 × 13 7/16 inches (25.1 × 34.1 cm), and Image: 9 9/16 × 13 3/8 inches (24.3 × 34 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "#38"
Lettered, lower left: "Mrs Ann Killegrew pinx: B Lens fe:"; lettered, lower center: "Venus & Adonis"; lettered, lower right: "printed for Jo. Bowles at the Black Horse Cornhill."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cloak | goddess | Horn (Musical instrument) | hunting | hunting dogs | love | man | nude | religious and mythological subject | spear | wings | wisdom
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Bernard Lens, 1659–1725, British, Venus and Adonis, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.