William Shenstone, Esq.
- Line engraving and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 6 5/16 x 3 3/8 inches (16.1 x 8.6 cm) and Image: 5 3/8 x 3 1/16 inches (13.7 x 7.8 cm)
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower center, in tablet: "WILLIAM SHENSTONE ESQr."; lower left: "Painted by Thos. Ross, 1738."; lower center: "Done from an Original Picture, in the Possession of | (The REVD. Mr. GRAVES.) | Publishd as the Act directs, by I. Dodsley, Pall Mall, June 1st, 1780."; lower right: "Engrav'd by Ino. Hall, 1780."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Chauncey Brewster Tinker
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coat | cravat | horn (musical instrument) | lute | man | music | oval | pipes | portrait | ruffle | tablet
- Associated People:
- Shenstone, William (1714–1763), writer
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Hall, 1739–1797, British, William Shenstone, Esq, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.