- The Flight from Belgium
- Aquatint, hard- and soft-ground etching, stipple etching, drypoint, roulette work and burnishing on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 20 1/16 x 23 1/16 inches (51 x 58.6 cm), Plate: 17 1/16 x 19 7/16 inches (43.4 x 49.4 cm), and Image: 17 x 19 3/8 inches (43.2 x 49.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite in artist's hand, lower left to lower center below image: "inv del et imp."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Edittion [sic] 35 only"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "The Flight from Belgium - 1914."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "1966.40.1"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Edittion [sic] - 35"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "11021"
Marked lower left below image: "WLH" (encircled) blind-stamped in monogram; marked lower center on back: "STATON BROS | FINE ARTS | GERMANTOWN, PHILA" written in a circular design on a sticker
Lettered lower right within image: "WLH" (encircled) in monogram
Signed in graphite, lower left to lower center below image: "W Lee Hankey inv del et imp." (partially underlined); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baby | cart | child | escape | fear | figures | fleeing | historical subject | horse (animal) | infant | landscape | line | man | men | migration | monochrome | refugees | sadness | trees | wagon | walking | war | weather | woman | women | World War, 1914-1918
- Associated Places:
- Belgium | Europe
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Lee Hankey, 1869–1952, British, The Flight from Belgium, 1914
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.