- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 21 x 14 1/8 inches (53.4 x 35.9 cm), Plate: 10 1/16 x 7 15/16 inches (25.6 x 20.1 cm), and Image: 8 7/8 x 7 15/16 inches (22.6 x 20.1 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower right: "3/0"; in graphite, on back, lower right: "448"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "JULIET | O look, methinks I see my Cousin's Ghost seeking out Romeo - Stay, | Tibalt, stay. Romeo, I come; this do I drink to thee. | Act e/4 4, Scene 3d, | Publish'd as the Act Directs March 22, 1779, by Philip Dawe No,, 4 Clements Inn."; lower right: "Painted & Engrav'd by P. Dawe"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- chalice | costume | earrings | fear | gesture | grief | jewelry | lace | love | oval | play | plays by William Shakespeare | romance | Romeo and Juliet, play by William Shakespeare | ruffle | sadness | theater (discipline) | tragedy | woman
- Associated People:
- Juliet (character in Romeo and Juliet)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, Juliet, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.