- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 21 x 14 1/8 inches (53.4 x 35.9 cm), Plate: 10 1/16 x 7 15/16 inches (25.6 x 20.1 cm), and Image: 8 7/8 x 7 15/16 inches (22.6 x 20.1 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower right: "3/0"; in graphite, on back, lower right: "448"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "JULIET | O look, methinks I see my Cousin's Ghost seeking out Romeo - Stay, | Tibalt, stay. Romeo, I come; this do I drink to thee. | Act e/4 4, Scene 3d, | Publish'd as the Act Directs March 22, 1779, by Philip Dawe No,, 4 Clements Inn."; lower right: "Painted & Engrav'd by P. Dawe"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- chalice | costume | earrings | fear | frill | gesture | ghost | grief | jewelry | lace | literary theme | long hair | love | oval | play | plays by William Shakespeare | romance | Romeo and Juliet, play by William Shakespeare | ruffle | sadness | surprise | theater (discipline) | tragedy | veil | woman
- Associated People:
- Juliet (character in Romeo and Juliet)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, Juliet, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.