Virgin and Child
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- 17 3/8 x 12 1/2 inches (44.1 x 31.7 cm), 15 3/8 x 11 1/8 inches (39 x 28.3 cm), and 13 7/8 x 11 1/8 inches (35.3 x 28.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "#127"; on back, lower right: "nog(?)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Guercino pinxt,,"; lower center: "From a Capital PICTURE of GUERCINO in the Collection of | the Right Honourable HENRY Lord Aylmer. | Publish'd as the Act directs 15 Jan. 1776 by R. Sayer & J. Bennett No. 53, Fleet Street."; lower right: "Rd. Earlom fecit. | No. 65."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bird | book | boy | child | Christ-child holding something in his hand, e.g. apple, bird, cherries, crucifix, grapes, paper wind-mill ~ Madonna-representations | Christianity | cloak | coat of arms | crest | finch | heraldic motif | Madonna: Mary sitting or enthroned, the Christ-child in her lap (or in front of her bosom) (Mary sometimes represented half-length) | Mary teaches the Christ-child to read | mother | nude | reading | religious and mythological subject | son | teaching | veil | woman
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
The Virgin Mary
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Earlom, 1743–1822, British, Virgin and Child, 1776
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.