IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, Saint Jerome, 1777
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 20 3/8 × 14 5/8 inches (51.8 × 37.1 cm), Plate: 20 1/8 × 14 inches (51.1 × 35.6 cm), Image: 18 3/8 × 14 inches (46.7 × 35.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Fine proof | 455"
Scratched lettering below image, lower left: "Mola Pinxit"; lower center: "Publish'd by J.Boydell, Engraver, Cheapside, April 7th. 1777"; lower right: "Engraved by V.Green, Engraver to his Majesty and to the | Elector Palatine"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barefoot | basket | beard | book | cane | crucifix | flame | hermit | kneeling | lamp | monk | praying | reading | religious and mythological subject | rosary | saint | skull | stone | the monk and hermit Jerome (hieronymus); possible attributes: book, cardinal's hat, crucifix, hour-glass, lion, skull, cane | tree
- Associated People:
- Saint Jerome (ca. 342-420), Roman religious leader
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.