IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by James Johnson, 1803–1834, British, Music Has Charms, undated
Music Has Charms
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet: 10 5/8 × 14 11/16 inches (27 × 37.3 cm), Plate: 9 13/16 × 13 13/16 inches (24.9 × 35.1 cm), Image: 9 × 13 13/16 inches (22.9 × 35.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "457"
Lettered, lower left: "Ch. Coypel pinxt. | If Musick of its Self has Soothing Charms, | Inspires soft Passions & the harsh disarms;- | Hon doubly Sense receives the Sweet Surprize. | Where harmony is help'd by beautious Eyes!-"; lettered, lower right: "J. Johnson fecit. | For Beauty acts the Subtle Lightning's part. | Flashes at once, and pierces to the Heart; - | The Swift Destruction in a Glance is dealt.- | And the rapt Youth dyes ere his Wound is felt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bodice | breeches | brocade | buckles | coat | collars | couple | curls | dress | genre subject | guitar | hair | hurdy-gurdy | man | mountain | musicians | plumes | ribbons (costume accessories) | river | ruff | ruins | shoes | stockings | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.