Van Dyke in the Character of Icarus
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 18 3/16 × 14 1/8 inches (46.2 × 35.9 cm), Image: 17 7/16 × 14 1/16 inches (44.3 × 35.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "proof I State unfinished by J.C.S. | 6 T | 453"
Lettered, lower left: "Sr. A. Vandyke Pinxt."; lettered, lower center: "VANDYKE | in the Character of | ICARUS."; lettered, lower center: "From a Capital Picture in the Collection of Edwd. Kinght Esqr."; lettered, lower left: "In early Youth he took his Flight | On Pinions bold a Heav'nly height."; lettered, lower right: "J. Watts Sculp";; lettered, lower right: "Canvas, the Wings that rais'd him high | To Fame and Immortality."; lettered, lower center: "Engrav'd and Publish'd as the Act directs 1st of June 1778 by J. Watts Dealer in Prints & Drawings opposite the Mews Gate Charing Cross."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cloth | curls | fastening | father | inventor | religious and mythological subject | son | wings | youth
- Associated People:
Van Dyck, Sir Anthony
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Watts, active 1766–1786, Van Dyke in the Character of Icarus, 1778
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.