- Van Dyke in the Character of Icarus
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet: 18 3/16 × 14 1/8 inches (46.2 × 35.9 cm) and Image: 17 7/16 × 14 1/16 inches (44.3 × 35.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "proof I State unfinished by J.C.S. | 6 T | 453"
Lettered, lower left: "Sr. A. Vandyke Pinxt."; lettered, lower center: "VANDYKE | in the Character of | ICARUS."; lettered, lower center: "From a Capital Picture in the Collection of Edwd. Kinght Esqr."; lettered, lower left: "In early Youth he took his Flight | On Pinions bold a Heav'nly height."; lettered, lower right: "J. Watts Sculp";; lettered, lower right: "Canvas, the Wings that rais'd him high | To Fame and Immortality."; lettered, lower center: "Engrav'd and Publish'd as the Act directs 1st of June 1778 by J. Watts Dealer in Prints & Drawings opposite the Mews Gate Charing Cross."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cloth | curls | fastening | father | inventor | religious and mythological subject | son | wings | youth
- Associated People:
Van Dyck, Sir Anthony
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Watts, active 1766–1786, Van Dyke in the Character of Icarus, 1778
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.