Christ Descending into the Grave
- Part Of:
- 1808, published 1813
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 × 11 3/8 inches (38.1 × 28.9 cm), Plate: 11 × 7 7/8 inches (27.9 × 20 cm), and Image: 9 1/8 × 4 7/8 inches (23.2 × 12.4 cm)
Lettered upper right: "P1"; below image, lower center: "Christ descending into the Grave | Eternal King! whose potent Arm sustains | the Keys of Hell and Death. | London, Published Mar. 1. 1813 by R.Ackermann 101 Strand"; lower left: "Drawn by W.Blake"; lower right: "Etched by L. Schiavonetti"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barefoot | Christianity | death | descending | flames | grave | halo | hell | keys | light | man | religious and mythological subject | robes | salvation | victory
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Luigi Schiavonetti, 1765–1810, Italian, Christ Descending into the Grave, 1808, published 1813
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.