Do You want any Matches?
- Additional Title(s):
The Cries of London, Plate 4
Marchande d'Allumettes achetè mes bonne allumettes
- Part Of:
- Color printed etching, aquatint, and stipple engraving with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Plate: 16 1/8 × 12 5/8 inches (41 × 32.1 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, center-top: "5"; top right: encircled "58"; lower right: "12926 13"; lower center: "16 3/8 x 12 7/8"
Lettered below image, lower left: "Painted by F. Wheatley R.A."; lower right: "Engraved by A. Cardon"; lower center: "CRIES | of | LONDON | Plate 4th. | Do you want any Matches? | Marchande d'Allumettes, achetè mes bonne allumetters. | London. pub as the Acts Directs July 1794 by Colnaghi & Co. No 139 Pall Mall"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figure study | genre subject
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Francis Wheatley (Yale Center for British Art, 2005-08-31 - 2006-02-05) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]