- Cartoon for "Gulliver Taking Leave of the Land of Houyhnhms"
- between 1768 and 1769
- Graphite, pen and black ink on medium, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Sheet: 8 5/16 × 10 11/16 inches (21.1 × 27.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, verso, upper right: "Cartoon of Gulliver leaving | the hounemyns. S. Gilpin RA"
Watermark "IV" whcih may be, as Churchill suggests, the watermark of a medical work publication at AMsterdam, that of Adriaan Rogge, 1760 (see Churchill, W.A.Watermarks on Paper. Amsterdam: Menno Hertzberger & Co. 1935. 84).
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Arthur Weyhe
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Sawrey Gilpin, 1733–1807, British, Cartoon for "Gulliver Taking Leave of the Land of Houyhnhms", between 1768 and 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.