Hester Maria Thrale
- Additional Title(s):
Hester Maria Thrale, aged 20 Months
- ca. 1766
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 18 5/8 x 14 1/8 inches (47.3 x 35.9 cm), 18 5/8 x 14 1/8 inches (47.3 x 35.9 cm), and 16 7/8 x 14 1/8 inches (42.9 x 35.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite lower left: "174"
Lettered lower left: "Zaffanÿ Pinxt."; lower center: "Hester Maria Thrale,"; "G. Marchi Fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnet | carpet | child | cradle | curtain | dog (animal) | dress | girl | oval | portrait
- Associated People:
- Elphinstone, Hester Maria, Viscountess Keith (1764–1857), protégée of Samuel Johnson
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
John Chaloner Smith, British mezzotinto portraits, being a descriptive catalogue of these engravings from the introduction of the art to the early part of the present century : arranged according to the engravers, the inscriptions given at full length, and the variations of state precisely set forth : acc , Martino Pub., Mansfield Centre, CT, 2004, v.2, p. 916, Marchi no. 13, NE1816.G7 S58 2004 [ORBIS]
Mary Webster, Johan Zoffany, 1733-1810, National Portrait Gallery, London, 1976, p. 41, no. 37, NJ18 Z68 W43 (YCBA) [YCBA]