- The Lover
- Soft-ground etching with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 5/16 x 11 1/4 inches (23.7 x 28.6 cm) and Image: 7 5/8 x 9 3/4 inches (19.3 x 24.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "3L"; on back, lower left: "c"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "HENRY ALKIN, del. et sculp."; lower center: "SHAKSPEARE'S SEVEN AGES. | The Lover. | London Published by E. & C. Mc. Lean, June 15th. 1824."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII | beard | books | bottles | breeches | cabinet | carpet | chain | coats | collar | costume | dogs (animals) | drawers | drinking glasses | frames (furnishings) | gallery | genre subject | humor | interior | jacket | leisure | letter (correspondence) | literary theme | lover | men | moustache | nymph | paintings | parrot | pen | perch | pipe | resting | satire | satyr | slippers | smoking | socks | sofa | tables | trousers | waistcoat
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, The Lover, 1824
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.