William Sommers, King Henry VIII's Jester
- Colored stipple engraving and etching on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 6 1/2 x 5 inches (16.5 x 12.7 cm) and Image: 4 5/8 x 4 1/4 inches (11.8 x 10.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center: "R"
Lettered, lower left under image: "S. Harding del.t"; lower center: "WILLIAM SOMMERS | King Henry the Eight's Jester | from an ancient Picture in the Collection of | Richard Aldworth Neville Esqr"; lower right under image: "R. Clamp Sculp"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- gaze | glass | hat | jester | man | pointing | portrait | ruff | smiling | windows
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Somer [Sommers], William (d. 1559), court fool
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by R. Clamp, fl.1789–1798, William Sommers, King Henry VIII's Jester, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.