"Hubert, let me not be bound!"
- Additional Title(s):
A Room in the Castle: 'King John', Act IV, Scene I
- Part Of:
- Etching, line engraving and stipple engraving on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 13/16 x 12 15/16 inches (42.7 x 32.8 cm), Plate: 13 7/16 x 10 3/8 inches (34.2 x 26.3 cm), and Image: 7 11/16 x 5 7/8 inches (19.6 x 15 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper right: "P117"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by T. Stethard R.A."; lower center: "Engraved by J. Heath, Historical Engraver to his Majesty and A.R.A. | KING JOHN | Act 4 Scene 1. | Hubert, let me not be bound! | Nay, hear me, Hubert, drive these men away, | And I will sit as quiet as a lamb; | I will not stir, &c. | London Published Septr 1802, by Jas Heath, 15 Russell Place, Fitzroy Square and G. & J. Robinson, Paternoster Row."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- begging | chains | chair | child | executioners | fire | irons | King John, Act IV, Scene I | literary theme | men | plays by William Shakespeare | sadness | sword | The Life and Death of King John, play by William Shakespeare
- Associated People:
- Hubert (character in King John)
Arthur, Duke of Brittaine, nephew of King John (character in King John)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Heath, 1757–1834, British, "Hubert, let me not be bound!", 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.