Opera Reminiscences: Desdemona and Otello
- Additional Title(s):
Desdemona and Othello
- Part Of:
Collective Title: The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice
- Etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 14 7/8 inches (26 × 37.8 cm), Image: 8 9/16 × 13 1/8 inches (21.8 × 33.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "30-"; on back, lower right: "Theatrical"; in black pen, lower right: "49 7/8 x 14 4 3/8 = 13 7/8 x 18 3/8 3946 2m cyyshell(?)"
Lettered, upper center: "OPERA REMINISCENCE'S - 1829 - to be continued"; upper right: "Pl 1st (underlined)"; lower left: "William Heath___"; lower center: "DESDEMONA OTELLO | Dedicated to the admirers of WILLIAM SHAKSPEARE ___"; lower right: "Pub July 15 by T McLean 26 Haymarket sole publisher of W. Heaths sketches__"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | dresses | literary theme | opera | plays by William Shakespeare | sashes | singing | The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, play by William Shakespeare | theater | turban | vest
- Associated People:
- Desdemona (character in Othello)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Othello (character in Othello, the Moor of Venice)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by William Heath, 1795–1840, British, Opera Reminiscences: Desdemona and Otello, 1829
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.