- "King Lear", Act V, Scene III
- Engraving on thick, moderately textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 21 13/16 × 28 inches (55.4 × 71.1 cm), Plate: 19 7/16 × 25 1/16 inches (49.4 × 63.7 cm), and Image: 16 9/16 × 23 5/16 inches (42.1 × 59.2 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Jas. Barry R.A. | Professor of Painting to the Royal Academy | 51"; lettered, lower left: "Lear. Howl, howl, howl, howl! O. you are men of stones; | Had i your longues and eyes. I'd use them so"; lettered, lower right: "Drawn & Engraved by Fras. Legat"; lettered, lower right: " That heavens vault should crack: | O. she is gone for ever!"; lettered, lower center: "SHAKSPEARE. | King Lear. | ACT V. SCENE III. | Publish'd Aug. 1, 1792, by JOHN & JOSIAH BOYDELL, at the Shakespeare Gallery Pall Mall & No.90, Cheapside London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Legat, 1755–1809, British, "King Lear", Act V, Scene III, 1792
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.