Mr. Macklin and Mrs. Pope in the Characters of Shylock and Portia
- Part Of:
- Stipple engraving, etching, and line engraving on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 22 1/16 x 16 1/4 inches (56.1 x 41.2 cm) and Image: 19 x 15 inches (48.3 x 38.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper center: "£4"; on back, lower left: "c (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "J. Boyne Pinxit. | Act 4. Scene 1."'; lower center: "MR: MACKLIN & MRS: POPE in the Characters of SHYLOCK & PORTIA. | Por. Have by some surgeon, Shylock, on your charge, to stop his wounds, lest he should bleed to death. | Shy. Is it so nominated in the bond? | London Published as the Act Directs April 1. 1789 by I. Boyne. Drawing Master & Engraver, No. 302. High Holborn."; lower right: "W. Nutter Sculpt. | Vide. Merchant of Venice"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bench | breeches | cane | coats | costume | court (judicial body) | courtroom | cuffs (costume components) | gesture | judge | knife | literary theme | men | paper (document genre) | plays by William Shakespeare | relief | robes | ruffles | scale (weighing device) | talking | tassels | The Merchant of Venice, Act IV, Scene I | tricornes | waistcoats | wigs | woman
- Associated People:
- Portia (character in The Merchant of Venice)
Shylock (character in The Merchant of Venice)
Pope, Elizabeth (1739x45–1797), actress
Macklin, Charles (1699?–1797), actor and playwright
Duke of Venice (character in The Merchant of Venice)
Antonio (character in The Merchant of Venice)
Bassiano (character in The Merchant of Venice)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Nutter, 1754–1802, British, Mr. Macklin and Mrs. Pope in the Characters of Shylock and Portia, 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.