- Infancy (Francis George Hare)
- Stipple and etching engraving on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet: 14 × 10 7/16 inches (35.6 × 26.5 cm), Plate: 9 13/16 × 7 3/4 inches (24.9 × 19.7 cm), and Image: 5 7/8 × 4 7/8 inches (14.9 × 12.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Vol.3.P.159"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Francis George Hare"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds. | O Life! how pleasant in thy merning, | Young Fancy's rays the hills adoring; | Cold-pausing Caution's lesson scorning, | We frisk away, | Like school-boys at th'expected warning, | To joy & play."; lettered, lower right: "Engrav'd by R.Thew. | We wander there, see wander here, | We eye the rose upon the brier, | Unmindful that the thorn is near, | Among the leaves, | And tho' the puny wound appear, | Short while it grieves. | Burn's Poems, Pa.113."; lettered, lower center: "INFANCY. | Publish'd Mar.25,1790, by J.&J.Boydell, Cheapside & at the Shakspeare Gallery, Pall Mall.London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
R. Matthew, Infancy (Francis George Hare), 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.