- The West Prospect of the Church and Steeple of St. Mary le Bow in Cheapside
- between 1720 and 1750
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 11/16 x 14 7/16 inches (44.9 x 36.7 cm), Plate: 16 7/8 x 13 1/8 inches (42.8 x 33.4 cm), and Image: 16 5/8 x 12 11/16 inches (42.2 x 32.3 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, lower left: "Pag 24."
Lettered in black ink, upper center, within image, in banner: "The West Prospect of the Church and Steeple of St. Mary Le Bow in Cheapside."; lower left: "St. Mary Bow was the first Church in this City builded on Arches of Stone in the | Reign of William the Conqueror and was therefore called St. Mary de Arcu- | bus or le Bow. It has Suffer'd many desolations from Time and Tempests, and in | the year 1666 it was quite destroy'd by the Great Fire, but is again rebuilt by Sr. | Christopher Wren in the Manner wee [sic] have here represented it. The Steple [sic] is 225"; lower right: "foot high, and is justly Esteemed a most curious peice [sic] of Architecture. It | has a fine sett [sic] of Bells, and one of them is very remarkable for it's [sic] Bigness. The Choir and Altar piece are very neat, the high Ceiling | of the Church, and the Ceilings over the Galleries are made Archwise | Answerable to ye Denomination of ye Church viz. le Bow or of the Arches._"; lower center: "London | Sold by Iohn Bowles at the black Horse in Cornhill. [swirled mark]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | architecture | bell tower | building | church | city | cityscape | clock | clouds | coats | columns (architectural elements) | costume | cross (object) | doors | dress (costume) | genre subject | men | pillars | road | steeple | street | walking | walking sticks | windows | woman
- Associated Places:
- City of London | England | Greater London | London | St Mary-le-Bow | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by unknown artist, The West Prospect of the Church and Steeple of St. Mary le Bow in Cheapside, between 1720 and 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.