The Grand Canal, Venice
- Etching and line engraving; engraver's proof on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper with cream chine-collé
- Sheet: 25 3/8 × 37 1/2 inches (64.5 × 95.3 cm), Plate: 19 1/8 × 25 1/2 inches (48.6 × 64.8 cm), Chine collé: 18 3/8 × 24 3/4 inches (46.7 × 62.9 cm), and Image: 15 × 22 7/8 inches (38.1 × 58.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R. 648"
Lettered inside image, lower left: "I M W T"; below image: "Painted by J.M.W.Turner R.AA. | Engraved by William Miller 1838 | Printed by R. Lloyd"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- canal | church | cityscape | marine art
- Associated Places:
- Grand Canal | Italy | Santa Maria della Salute | St Mark's Campanile | Venice
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Miller, 1796–1882, British, The Grand Canal, Venice, 1838
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.