- Mercury and Argus
- Etching and line engraving; first published state on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper with cream chine-collé
- Sheet: 33 × 25 1/4 inches (83.8 × 64.1 cm), Plate: 23 5/8 × 17 3/8 inches (60 × 44.1 cm), Chine collé: 22 3/4 × 16 1/2 inches (57.8 × 41.9 cm), and Image: 20 1/2 × 15 1/4 inches (52.1 × 38.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.650"
Lettered below image: "Painted by J.M.W. Turner, R.A. | Engraved by J. T. Willmore"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architecture | bridge | cliff | landscape | livestock | reflection | religious and mythological subject | sun | water | waterfall
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James T. Willmore, 1800–1863, British, Mercury and Argus, 1841
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.