Mercury and Argus
- Etching and line engraving; fourth state on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 29 5/8 × 22 1/2 inches (75.2 × 57.2 cm), Plate: 27 1/8 × 19 1/4 inches (68.9 × 48.9 cm), and Image: 20 5/8 × 15 1/4 inches (52.4 × 38.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.650"
Lettered below image: "Painted by J.M.W. Turner, R.A. | Engraved by J. T. Willmore. | London, Published Nov 1, 1841, By F. G. Moon, Printseller by Special Appointment to Her Majesty, & H.R.H. Prince Albert, 20, Threadneedle Street. | MERCURY AND ARGUS. | To the Right Honourable Sir Robert Peel, Bart, M.P. | This Engraving from the Original picture Painted by J. M. W. Turner, Esqr. R. A. | Is with permission most respectfully dedicated by his very Obliged and humble Servant, Fras. Grahm. Moon."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architecture | bridge | cliff | landscape | livestock | reflection | religious and mythological subject | sun | trees | water | waterfall
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Turner et la couleur, Editions Hazan, Paris, 2016, pp. 109. 111, NJ18 .T85 A12 2016 OVERSIZE (YCBA)