Washing the Blackamoor
- Etching and stipple engraving, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 x 15 inches (27.3 x 38.1 cm), Plate: 9 15/16 x 13 7/8 inches (25.3 x 35.3 cm), and Image: 8 3/4 x 12 7/8 inches (22.2 x 32.7 cm)
Inscribed in blue ink, on back, upper left: "4096"; in graphite, upper left: "2.00"; lower left: "By Isac Cruickshank. | 1795 The Pooodle is Shown | under the dressing table."
Lettered, upper right: "Pub by SW Fores No50 Picadilly London Jully 24 1795"; lower left inside image: "IC"; lower center: "WASHING the BLACKAMOOR"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | dog (animal) | feathers | genre subject | illustration | man | political | racial | satire | servants | washing | wigs | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Isaac Cruikshank, 1756–1810, British, Washing the Blackamoor, 1795
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.