A Favorite Poodle Hatching Poultry!! - or A Present of Feather Breeches from the Sandwich Isles
- Etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- 10 3/8 x 14 1/2 inches (26.4 x 36.8 cm), 9 3/4 x 13 3/4 inches (24.7 x 34.9 cm), and 8 7/16 x 12 5/8 inches (21.4 x 32.1 cm)
Inscribed in blue ink, on back, upper left: "4102"; in graphite, upper left: "$10.00"; lower left: "A rare Cruikshank caricature. | While I can find no references | to the Poodle (underlined), the King and Queen | of the Sandwich Islands visited | London in 1824. The date of this | print. The Englishman is | Sir John Byng, Earl of Strafford. | (1772-1860)"; lower center: "Robert Cruikshank"; lower right: "390 | BM 14698"
Lettered, lower center inside image: Pubd June 1824 by J Fairburn Broadway Ludgate Hill | A Favorite Poodle Hatching Poultry!!_ or a present of Feather Breeches from the Sandwich Isles. R.C. Fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | eggs | feathers | genre subject | hatching | humor | illustration | Indian | men | natives | nest (animal architecture) | poetry | poultry | racial | satire
- Associated Places:
- Oceania | Sandwich Islands | World
- Associated People:
- Byng, John, first earl of Strafford (1772–1860), army officer
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Isaac Cruikshank, 1789–1856, British, A Favorite Poodle Hatching Poultry!! - or A Present of Feather Breeches from the Sandwich Isles, 1824
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.