Monstrosities of 1827
- Etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate and parts of image): 9 7/8 x 14 5/8 inches (25.1 x 37.2 cm) and Image: 8 3/4 x 14 5/8 inches (22.3 x 37.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "Fashion Caricature 1827 | by Cruikshank | Poodle & Pug (underlined) £3/3/="
Lettered, lower left (partially cut off): "rt. Cruikshank delt et fecit | mr B reads fashions"; lower center: "Monstrosities of 1827. _"; lower right: "Pub.d by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket Aug1 18" rest cut off
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | caricature | cityscape | dogs (animals) | dresses | fashion | garden | genre subject | hats | illustration | lace | leisure | men | monument | pants | park (grounds) | people | ruffles | satire | top hats | walking | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Isaac Cruikshank, 1789–1856, British, Monstrosities of 1827, 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.