Specimens of Waltzing
- Etching and stipple engraving, hand-colored on moderately thick, textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 9 3/4 × 13 13/16 inches (24.7 × 35.1 cm) and Image: 8 7/16 × 12 15/16 inches (21.5 × 32.9 cm)
Inscribed in blue pen, on back, upper left: "4106"; in graphite, upper left: "$10.00"; lower left: "Ballroom Dancing/Waltzing (underlined) | Dogs Dancing (1 Poodle) (underlined) | A rare & very early Waltzing Caricature | D Cruikshank, 1817 (underlined) | 1179 | G1994"; lower right: "388"
Lettered, lower left: "(Etched by G Cruikshank)"; lower center: "SPECIMENS of WALTZING"; lower right: "Pubd June 4th 1817 by H Humphrey | 27 St James's Street London ~~~"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | ballroom | caricature | curtains | dancing | dogs (animals) | draperies | dresses | feet | genre subject | hats | men | noses | pictures | satire | waltzing | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Pleasures and Pastimes (Yale Center for British Art, 1990-02-21 - 1990-04-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
British Comic Art 1730 - 1830 (Museum of Art and Archaelogy, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1988-10-14 - 1988-12-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]