- Very Unpleasant Weather, or, the Old Saying Verified "Raining Cats, Dogs, & Pitchforks."!!!
- Etching and stipple engraving, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 11/16 x 16 5/16 inches (27.1 x 41.4 cm), Plate: 10 3/16 x 15 3/8 inches (25.8 x 39 cm), and Image: 8 3/4 x 14 1/4 inches (22.3 x 36.2 cm)
Inscribed in blue ink, on back, upper left: "4171"; in graphite, upper left: "12 50 (underlined)"
Lettered, lower left inside image: "AE delt"; lower left under image: "Cruikshank fecit"; lower center: "Very unpleasant weather, or, the Old saying verified 'Raining cats, Dogs, & pitchforks.'!!!"; lower right: "Pub. by Tho.s M.cLean 26 Haymarket Augt 1st 1835."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apples | caricature | carts | cats | chaos | coach | dogs (animals) | falling | genre subject | illustration | injured | men | meteorology | pitchforks | rain | satire | science | signs | storm | umbrellas | weather | wind | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Very Unpleasant Weather, or, the Old Saying Verified "Raining Cats, Dogs, & Pitchforks."!!!, 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.