IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Very Unpleasant Weather, or, the Old Saying Verified "Raining Cats, Dogs, & Pitchforks."!!!, 1835
Very Unpleasant Weather, or, the Old Saying Verified "Raining Cats, Dogs, & Pitchforks."!!!
- Etching and stipple engraving, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 11/16 x 16 5/16 inches (27.1 x 41.4 cm), Plate: 10 3/16 x 15 3/8 inches (25.8 x 39 cm), Image: 8 3/4 x 14 1/4 inches (22.3 x 36.2 cm)
Inscribed in blue ink, on back, upper left: "4171"; in graphite, upper left: "12 50 (underlined)"
Lettered, lower left inside image: "AE delt"; lower left under image: "Cruikshank fecit"; lower center: "Very unpleasant weather, or, the Old saying verified 'Raining cats, Dogs, & pitchforks.'!!!"; lower right: "Pub. by Tho.s M.cLean 26 Haymarket Augt 1st 1835."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apples | caricature | carts | cats | chaos | coach | dogs (animals) | falling | genre subject | illustration | injured | men | meteorology | pitchforks | rain | satire | science | signs | storm | umbrellas | weather | wind | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.