Le Retour de Paris, or, the Niece Presented to her Relatives by her French Governess
- Etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 7/16 x 16 1/8 inches (29 x 41 cm), Plate: 10 15/16 x 15 1/16 inches (27.8 x 38.3 cm), Image: 9 x 14 3/16 inches (22.8 x 36.1 cm)
Inscribed in blue pen, on back, upper left: "4180"; in graphite, upper left: "$10.50"; lower left: "13 (circled) | Etched by Cruikshank | from a sketch made | in 1816 & published in | 1835 | £ 3/3/="; lower right: "409"
Lettered, lower center inside image: "EHL del. 1816 ____ Etched by G Cruikshank"; lower left under image: "Well-a-day Aunt! What | Monstrosities are these? | Pub.d by Thos. McLean 26 | Haymarket Aug.t 1.st 1835"; (columns of text satirizing French costume); lower center under image: "LE RETOUR DE PARIS | or, the Neice presented to her Relatives by her French Governess._"; (columns of text satirizing French costume)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- aunt | caricature | carpet | costume | dogs (animals) | fancy dress | French | genre subject | gesturing | hats | humor | illustration | ladies | men | niece | satire | surprise | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Le Retour de Paris, or, the Niece Presented to her Relatives by her French Governess, 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.