IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, The Straw Yard, 1808
The Straw Yard
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/4 × 16 1/2 inches (28.6 × 41.9 cm), Plate: 8 1/8 × 11 3/8 inches (20.6 × 28.9 cm), Image: 7 1/4 × 10 inches (18.4 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "11 3/4 x 6 1/2"; lower left: "I 1."; lower right: "1st State Proof"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Cotswold Gallery 1924, ex A A Allen & Dr. Pocock"
Collector's mark: "CJP" (Crawford J. Pocock Lugt 579)
Lettered above image, upper center: "P"; below image: "Drawn & Etchd. by J.M.W.Turner Esq. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas. Turner | London, Published Feby. 20. 1808. by C.Turner. No.50. Warren Street Ftizroy Square."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | farm | farmer | straw | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.