The Straw Yard
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink, with scraping, brown ink, and brown wash Engraver's proof (aa) on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/8 × 11 1/4 inches (20.6 × 28.6 cm), Image: 7 1/8 × 9 7/8 inches (18.1 × 25.1 cm), and Mount: 12 3/4 × 15 3/4 inches (32.4 × 40 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, lower left: "7 The Straw Yard, Engraver's Proof. Intermediate between (a) and (b) as described. Ex Ruhard Redgrave, R.A. | (Bright clouds on right & left added, but before any lettering. Touched for darkening horses, hayrack, & figures, etc. on left." inscribed on verso in graphite, center: "Robert Well[...] Born in the Year of our Lord 1807 | R R Rob | Rob Robert Will[...] mast. | Born Ano Domini | 1807"; lower left: "7.EP/G Big L. | Before [...] | Touched for darkening horses, etc. | ex R.Redgrave, R.A."
Watermark: Whatman (partial)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- country (rural landscape) | farm | farmers | horses (animals)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, The Straw Yard, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.