IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, The Castle above the Meadows, 1808
The Castle above the Meadows
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 × 15 inches (25.4 × 38.1 cm), Plate: 8 1/8 × 11 3/8 inches (20.6 × 28.9 cm), Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "8I." lower right: "First State. Fine | Dup I"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Cotswold Gallery 1924, ex. G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "EP"; below image: "Drawn & Etch'd by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas. Turner | London, Published Feby. 10, 1808 by C. Turner. No.50, Warren Street, Fitzroy Square."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | cliff | cows | flutist | hill | landscape | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.