- The Castle above the Meadows
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 × 15 inches (25.4 × 38.1 cm), Plate: 8 1/8 × 11 3/8 inches (20.6 × 28.9 cm), and Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "8I." lower right: "First State. Fine | Dup I"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Cotswold Gallery 1924, ex. G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "EP"; below image: "Drawn & Etch'd by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas. Turner | London, Published Feby. 10, 1808 by C. Turner. No.50, Warren Street, Fitzroy Square."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | cliff | cows | flutist | hill | landscape | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, The Castle above the Meadows, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.